Friday 2 May 2014

How to - Connect LUNs From EMC Storage HostAgent to Linux Server

EMC VNX Series is the huge storage to work with, High-performing unified storage with unsurpassed simplicity and efficiency, optimized for virtual applications. With the VNX Series, you’ll achieve new levels of performance, protection, compliance, and ease of management. In this writeup I am going to share an experience of working with EMC VNX 5700 and IBM Server for Database and I have created some luns for my database and now I want those luns in my DB server so that I can start my database and grid installation on that luns. There is a thing named "HOST AGENT" which is required to complete the process it is an rpm package for RHEL linux 64 bit, I have this package coz I was using the same database servers, so lets start the process.

First you will be needing that package so I am going to Share that package for your ease just click here HOST AGENT to get that package from dropbox account :)

so once you get that package just copy that package on the both database servers, and install the package by the following command

rpm -Uvh PackageName

and its installed.

Now change your directory to start the service of host agent

cd /etc/init.d/

service hostagent start

I can not share logs due to some security reasons but trust me it will work :) Now just one thing remaining.

you just have to rename one file from logs and create one file to start work.

cd /var/logs
mv HostID.txt HostId.txt.backup  <== this command will rename that file

now on the root directory create one file with the name of agentID.txt

vi agentID.txt
NameOfYourServer <== replace this with your actual server name
IP Of Your Server <== replace this with your actual server IP
and save your file with :qw

after that you will be able to see your hosts in Host List Of EMC GUI..
and with the following command you will able to rescan HBA for LUNS

echo "1" > /sys/class/fc_host/host1/issue_lip
echo "1" > /sys/class/fc_host/host2/issue_lip
 
then use fdisk -l command to check your LUNS
 
You May see more One LUN if you have configured HA with 
multi switches now you will be needed for PowerPath for that wait for 
my next writeup 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment